The Role of the Head Nurse – 4 Week CPD
Performance reviews and appraisals
This first week, we will look at how to conduct appraisals and performance reviews. We will look at the different styles of checklists and forms that can be used to conduct these sessions, and we will discuss how to give feedback, whether good or bad. We will look at how performance reviews can be used to help with staff members who are not performing at an expected level.
By the end of the week delegates will be able to:
- Know how to give constructive feedback
- How to set performance action plans
- Design an appraisal form, in order to conduct an appraisal.
QI is an important part of clinical practice and it often lands on veterinary nurses to conduct clinical audits. We will explore what QI involves, how to develop evidence-based practice, what a journal club is, and how to implement clinical audits.
By the end of the second week, delegates will be able to:
- Understand the concepts of clinical governance, quality improvement and clinical audits.
- How to implement a clinical audit
- Understand how to start a journal club
We will look at what to do if you have a situation when a staff member that doesn’t arrive to work on time, has performance issues, or doesn’t comply to rules. We will look at how you can manage these people, how to set reviews and action plans, along with what to do if they don’t adhere to these action plans.
By the end of the third week, delegates will be able to:
- Set action plans and how to review these
- Know how to conduct an investigation into conduct
- What the disciplinary process is
Part of being a head nurse is also knowing how the business works - having a basic understanding of how your role as head nurse affects profit/loss is important. Stock control, purchasing, pricing and charging correctly are a vital part of this.
By the end of the fourth week, delegates will be able to:
- Understand the importance of stock control and how to implement a simple system to aid your stock takes
- Understand the importance of charging and how making a few changes can make a difference
- Know why it is important to charge for your time
The course will be fully tutored by Nicola Lakeman, and will consist of 10 hours of CPD given in various formats, including tutorials, tasks, case studies, forum discussions and quizzes.